Saturday, April 6, 2013

Our new "Baby" is here....

....and I'm sure most of you know that by 'baby' I mean our wonderful new little girl - Puppy, who we have named Skye.

    This is one of the many new pictures I have taken of her since I brought her home on Wednesday morning, a whole week earlier than we had originally thought, after the rescue was able to get her in a week earlier for her spay appointment.   The Vet that did her surgery prefers to keep the young pups overnight, which was fine with us and gave me one last day to get everything ready.    I was so excited when I found out we would have her early...it made for a short wait and now she's  happily here and already much loved.
Introducing our newest family member -- Little "Skye" our baby girl Dachshund/Mix puppy!!


   This picture is of her in her sweet little pink snuggle bed, which is the bed she sleeps in at night and for naps.  As you might be able to see, I bought her a purple collar and she has a pretty matching leash too.  We have been out now and then, but since she just had surgery, she needs to keep "fairly" quiet for the first 10 days...something that is NOT so easy with a very playful puppy, who is doing awesome.  It's also been unseasonably "cold" here in the past week, especially in the early morning again starting in the late afternoon...even below freezing...Brrr!   That too, makes it hard to get this little one outside as much as I would like, but we have been out every day, especially in the middle of the day, when the sun has things warmed up. 

    Little Miss Skye was born on December 20 and was originally called "Abby", which is a name I did like, but we also wanted to give her a name we all liked and one that we thought would go well with Scout and Skye was the one we all liked most. To me "Skye" makes me think of those gorgeous "Blue Sky" days when the sun is shining brightly and the temperature are just perfect..those wonderful top ten days that we have eah Summer...happy fun days.  And that feeling and joy is what Skye has already brought into our lives.   As soon as I had Scout and realize the wonderful companion he was, I knew I wanted to get another dog and have been patiently waiting for that day and now it's here, thanks to some wonderful people who all are part of Furever Dachshund Rescue and also to her awesome Foster Mom, who has cared for her and all her siblings since shortly after birth.  They've all been together in Vermont, but are now all available and ready to go to their new homes.  Maybe it could be YOUR home?    Her sweet sister is Ziva and her four brothers, McGee, EddieDiNozzo and Gibbs.   Zivawill also be going to her new home very soon and I hope in time I might have a chance to meet the other adopting parents and maybe gets the pups together again at some time in their lives.   Ziva and McGee look very much like "Skye" and the other boys are all very handsome, I really love the brindle coats they have.  I'm so thankful that I found my sweet new girl and I know they will bring lots to smiles and love to the families that adopt them. 

      Furever Dachshund Rescue, is the group that gave these puppies all a chance at a wonderful new life and because a simply post on my blog helped me find my "Skye", I'm hoping that me posted about FDR and the other wonderful dogs, might help them all to quickly be in new loving homes.  What are your waiting for, these pups are wonderful and you know you want one?   
     
      "Skye" is a Dachshund mix, as you can probably tell right away by looking at her adorable little ears.   She also has slightly longer legs and is already almost as tall as Scout, but far more petite in the same little Doxie type body!  Here are some more pictures, which I have to admit are not the best.  Trying to get good pictures of a busy puppy is a challenge for sure.

 
   As of Wednesday morning she was up to 6.75 lbs.  She eats very well, and also enjoys healthy treats, for good behavior.  I'm currently feeding her three times a day and she's eating close to a 1/4 cup each time and pretty much eats it all quickly.   I'm feeding her Wellness Brand for Small Breed Puppies and it's an all natural kibble, which is the type I prefer and one that had been recommended to me.   I am bringing her to meet her new Vet here in two weeks and we'll then talk about any change then and also when she feels it's best to start her on flea treatments and heartworm prevention.  She be just a few days short of 4 months and will also need her third DHPP at that visit.  
 
    As for training -- both crate and house training, she's still very much in progress.   We are  I'm using a crate for sleep at night and she also has a fun "Pink Puppy Playpen" we use downstairs in the day and also a bit in the evening before she goes to sleep or when I need to get something done.....which is truly a challenge for now.  My main goal is to have her happy, warm and safe and settled her and also have her potty trained, as soon as possible.  So far, she LOVES her new Mommy, but seems a bit shy with the guys?    She's more timid around them and would much rather I hold her, or even Acacia, (Alex's Girlfriend).  I am not sure why, but hope she will outgrow this.   

    She's doing okay with "Pet Pads" in the house and as soon as I see her looking like she has to "go" I quickly get her to a pad...a few times, she's made it on her own, but has still had accidents, as expected.  She was doing well with paper training while with her foster Mom and because it was even colder in Vermont, she was not able to go outdoors, so that's a new adventure for her and she's always trying to eat things...leaves, rocks, twig etc. and pretty much I have to be right on top of her to get her to stop..and get the "debris" out of her mouth.  Luckily, none of those seem to taste too good, so she's been good about not swallowing anything...!   Once the weather is nicer I will push harder and harder to have do her thing outside ONLY and will hopefully end the pads/paper..and I can't wait for that day!  It's NOT an easy task, but one that's necessary and I'll be very happy when I can be outside with her more often!!  She's also new to being on a leash and doesn't realize just how fast it stops her, and she gets tangled in seconds, but I'm right there, so she' learning fast, not to try and RUN so fast.   Thankfully, we now have the estimate to have more of year "fully-fenced" and plan to have it done.  I plan to call the Fence company Monday morning to get on the schedule, which was about 2-3 weeks, which is perfect!   It will be a big help and that way, the two dogs and run more without being tied to a run or leash!  

   As for her crate, she does NOT love it and I'm working on that more and more too.   She sleeps in our room, as does Scout who sleeps on a blanket on the foot of our bed or in his Puppy Pocket.  He also LOVES to get under the covers and will go right down and sleep near your feet, something most Dachshunds LOVE to do.  Doxie's LOVE to be snugglers and I have no issue with that, but she must be potty trained first and needs to know to wait for us to put her on and off the bed.  It' too high for her to jump on or off and that's the same for Scout, although I have found him on the bed lounging in the sun for time to time, but have NO clue, how me got up there??   Skye slept through the night twice so far, which is a blessing for me.  With Fibro I am always fatigued, so I knew this would be the hardest part.  I am NOT one who is up early or gets up at night, but I will have to do it for awhile until she is more on MY schedule, which Scout does very well!  The first night she had me up at 2:30 am when I quickly managed to get her to a pad, where she did her thing.  I then tried to put her right back into her crate, but she cried and barked and wen on and on, and by then the entire house was awake, and I felt bad because hubby has to get up at 4am for work and Alex gets up a little later, but still needs his sleep too.    I was doing my best to keep her quiet, so we went downstairs and I put her in her pen, wrapped in a blanket, and she quickly settled down while I snoozed on the couch.  

   Today, she was up at 6am, (way too early for me), but this is a puppy after all and much a like a baby, but this girl to too old for babies, so I do hope she'll start to sleep a bit later and if needed I'll try to keep her up later, but she's busy busy all day and wiped out by about 7 or 8 and even that is struggle to keep her awake.   Of course, of all days I was up early, I wanted to take advantage and started a load of laundry and then when I put it in the dryer it would not go on?  ON no?  I think it died and we may have to get a new one, but I have to wait and see what Hubby finds, once he gets home from work.  He's usually pretty good at fixing these things, IF we can find the parts we need!   Now I have wet clothes hanging all over my kitchen, not a pretty site....and that is the one room that very safe for her to be free and where the food/water is for both dogs.  I have a gate on that doorway and the floor is the easiest to clean, it's a laminite and cleans up super fast!    She also loves sitting at the Patio Door in our Family Room where her playpen is..but loves Scout's Puppy Pocket.  I have now ordered her one of her own and her's will be Pink and has white hearts and little bones!  I found out about these "Puppy Pockets" after I saw them on Facebook, when Cynthia "their creator", had donated Puppy Pockets to benefit "Obie" and many other wonderful rescue groups!   You can read more about them on her Facebook page or hope on over to learn how Obie is doing on his Facebook Page.  He's one lucky and well-loved doxie who is slowly losing weight to gain back his new life!  Here is Obie, who has now lost over 40 lbs....Way to GO Obie...you're looking fabulous!!

  And before I sign off...here are a few more pics I took in between writing this post and playing with the dogs...they are both so happy together, as you can see.   Skye jumped into Scout's bed, which I had sitting next to my computer desk (in my craft room)......


  ....and a few minutes later, Scout joined her and they both took a nice little nap, while I sat at the computer checking emails and writing my post!    Awww...nothing sweeter than happy doggies...and these two are a JOY!!  

   I HOPE to actually create a card or two today???   There is a Scramble coming up shortly at the Hero Arts Flickr Group and I really want to try to play along!  Wish me luck...!   OOPS!  I am already late..., the scramble started at 1pm, so I better go and see if I can still get it done????  Argh!!!!!!!!!!

   Update:  I actually did manage to make a card today -- Woohoo !!  I got it done just in time for the Scramble and our theme was to make an ALL white Card or a card that was White, with a combination of Black, Gray or Silver.  I went with a White, Black and Gray theme and make this Sympathy card.   Sadly one of my best friends lost her Mom this week and I need to get a card done for her and her family, and also one for her sister and this may work for her sister, but these are always hard cards to make and sometimes I wonder if handmade cards are well received during such a tough time.  


3 comments:

Unknown said...

She's darling Lisa! Have fun:)

StampTramps said...

I love the pic of Scout and Skye having a nap together, and I'm so glad that things are working out so well! Your card is lovely, as usual, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, I don't know why but your posts are not showing up on my list of "My Blogs" on Google anymore. I tried to "follow" you again, but to no avail. I will just have to come on to your blog myself. I've missed your posts. This new baby is just darling and the picture of both of the babies is precious. You are going to love having two. We do. Mine are always together. Enjoy your time with them. Have a fun day.

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".