I am back! The bone scan is done and NOW it's the waiting game waiting for the test to be read by the Radiologists, then dictated and the report sent to my doctor. The tech that did my test, said it can take a couple of days...and that did NOT make me happy...the waiting if the hardest part and I just want to know what is going on with my body.
As for the test in case anyone needs one. You arrive and check in (for me it was 10:30 am), and then are sent to Radiology, where you are given an IV injection of the Radio Active material..that's kind of is freaking as you see the syringe in a locked box with the "radioactive" warning label all over it. But, the tech did tell me there are NO side effects and other than a needle pinch like having blood drawn, that was the worst of it. He also then showed me the Scanner, which is much much more open than an MRI and I did tell him about my claustrophobia and he suggested I take a xanax about 30 minutes before my return at 1:30, which I did. We left and went to Sears, walked a little in in that Mall, then I went to AC Moore to browse a bit and DH, when to the Food Pavilion to get some lunch. I wasn't hungry, but I did bring a Fiber Bar and 3 bottles of water and drank all those. We left the Mall at 1 Pm to go back to the hospital. You then go directly to Radiology and you do have a hospital id bracelet on and need to keep verifying you name, and date of birth, which is a nice precaution. There is a little waiting room right out side the Nuclear Med Room and I waited there for a 5 minutes and the same tech came back. You do have a pillow for you head, and can keep on all your clothes (but now jewelry) except rings. There is a place for your pocketbook and jacket in the room with you, but not need to change, which is nice. You lie on your back on the hard table and you must lie flat, no bended knees etc., and you keep your hands by your side, but you are NOT strapped down like in the MRI's and then he uses a remote and move the table under the "scanner" camera, it's only about 4" above your face, and ideally he wanted it closed, but it's about 2X2' square above you and it's scans from the top of your head to your toes....entire body scan. At first he had it lower to my face, which is more idea, but that felt awful, so I did get him to put it up about 4" off my face and then just closed my eyes. He said it was one and underway, told me to lay still and try and relax. He told me it would only be over my head for 5-6 minutes, so I counted to about 300 opened my eyes and it was still here...which was a bit freaky, so I closed my eyes again and then in about a minute I noticed more light and when I opened my eye, was it NOT over my face anymore and that was a huge relief for me. The rest was okay, until my knees and by then my Back was killing me and you can NOT move, that was hard as I wanted to shift my body so much because of the pain...but I closed my eyes gain and tried to think of the beach etc. and then he came back ...it seemed like it was at my feet "finally", and I asked if I could move and he said not yet, but only 1 minute and I did it..it was hard, but as soon as it went off I moved onto my side to alleviate the pain and that was a huge relief for me! He then moved the table "remotely" again back to the beginning position and I could sit up..very, very stiff, but I could move...The I put on my flip flops, grabbed my bag and was told to wait while he quickly reviewed them to make sure all was clean. In 5 minutes he came and told me I was all set...and we came home...! Now I'm HOPING SO much my doctor will call asap, but I know I need to be patient...not my best virtue at ALL!!
I'm glad it's over, but still want to know what's up? And I'm still praying that ALL will be okay!! One step and one moment at a time!! And trying hard to stay positive and upbeat!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Little About Me
- ThePurplePlace
- Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
- Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".
No comments:
Post a Comment