....Just about 23 years ago I had one of the absolute best Christmas Gifts ever. That was the year that my oldest son, Brian was born and that was back on December 19, 1986. I can still remember how excited I was when my doctor confirmed I was pregnant with my first child and that I would be having a "Christmas Baby". My due date was December 23rd, but I was lucky and Brian wanted to be sure we were back home for Christmas, so he arrived 4 days early on December 19th. What's even more ironic is that my second son, Alex is my "Easter" Baby and he was born on Holy Thursday back in 1992. Seem my boys like to have their birthdays right around special Holidays!
Below is a picture of Brian, on Christmas morning back in 1986. I was 6 days old and you can barely see him in his tiny little "Santa" outfit lying against his big white Teddy Bear that Santa had brought for him. I still remember that morning like it was yesterday, at times and it was a wonderful Christmas - one that will always be so special for me!
Today, I am back to trying to making him a really nice Birthday card and it's been a challenge to come up with one I really like. I've spent almost the entire day working on this card, but I thinkI finally have one that I am happy with. I had made two others, but simply did Not like them...so they are now in my "scrap" pile. Making "male/masculine" cards is pretty much always the hardest for me. You would think with DH and two sons in my family, I would have plenty of experience, but I always struggle with them. I had the same problem when I was working on DH's and Alex's Birthday cards this year too!
I started my day with some cleaning and was re-organizing some of my stamps in my craft room. While I was organizing the Stamps, I was also looking for something to possibly use on Brian's card, that's when I found the "boxes of presents" stamp, that I used for the cards. I thought I would use my Copics and make it all very vibrant, so I was then ready to try again.
I stamped a few of the images on white Card-stock with Memento Black Tuxedo Ink. I had planned to color it with my Copic and began with my Copic Spica "Glitter" pens instead. As it turned out, I liked the look of the sparkle from the Spicas so much, hat I ended up using ONLY those pens and really like the end result. I then added some 3D Crystal Lacquer on a few parts of the colored image and dusted it with a layer of ultra fine glitter!
Next, while it was drying, I used my Cuttlebug cut some long scalloped rectangles in red and black and later cut the image out also in a scalloped rectangle shape. I embossed each of the red layers and adhered them to a black 'DCWV' card. I stamped "Happy Birthday" in Tuxedo Black and cut that out with my SU Label punch and adhered it to a black rectangle. I then added two black "pearls" as accents. I created my inside sentiment on my computer and printed it out on white card-stock and then hand-signed it.
Below are two pictures of the finished version of the card. I also made a matching envelope and that is also in black and red. I really think he will like it and I hope to be able to hand deliver it to him on Saturday....(pray we do NOT have a blizzard). I am hoping to go down to the Pub, where he works and surprise him. I also went with the Black and Red theme, because that is kind of the "theme" color of the Pub!
And this is another view....
I assembled the card (after everything was dry) and added a black and white polka-dot ribbon and I was done. I sure hope he likes it! He's my more artistic son, and is pretty creative himself. I think it turned out to be a pretty well for a "Male" Birthday card. It's still so hard to believe that my son, "My Christmas Baby" is now all grown-up!
Where does the time go?

No comments:
Post a Comment