Thursday, June 5, 2014

What a lousy day....

....it's cool, pouring rain and on top of that my "mojo" is also missing.   I knew the weather was going to be awful, so I thought (ya right), that today would be another fun day of creating....?  Unforutunately, things did no go quite a plannnd.

    Even so, I'm sharing what I did make today and at the very end of things, I was doing better, but it did not start that way for me.  I should also let you know (for those who don't), that I am a card-maker and totally LOVE everything as it related to cards.  I've tried Scrapbooking, but it was not for me...it takes hours and hours to do a really nice page and almost "forever" to finish a full book.  Not to mention the fact that I'm not the best photographer and now a days it's rare for me to ever have a printed photo.  I have made two full books in my life....and those are very like the only two I'll ever make.   I'm also not really good at many of the other types of paper-crafting, although I do love trying and learning new techniques.  That being said, when I first read the theme for "Virginia's" latest challenge, I almost was gong to pass on it, but I decided to give it a try.

    There is also a "TWIST" to this month's challenge and that is to incorporate something "Recycled" into your project.  Virginia has shared some great ideas in her post HERE!!

     I did love the idea, but will readily admit, that my skills a creating nice tags, are awful.  I don't think I've ever made one that I LOVE.  Same goes for ATC's, and WHY?   I really don't know, especially since there are so many fabulous ideas and inspiration to be found, just look at the fabulous entries in the challenge.  I greatly admire scrappers, those who create fabulous tags/journals and so much more...and goodness knows what I find them such a challenge, but I do.  But, when I read a bit more about the "Scraplings" I though "Hey" I should do okay with them, after all they are just small versions of A2 Cards, that crafters make with their left over cardstock and since I have a HUGE scrap bin, I thought it would be fun to go for it and try the challenge and I decided I would try both a tag and a scrapling....and in the end, the scrapling was my favorite, and it hope it's right?

      I started with the idea of making a "Scrapling" and for me the easiest way to create the card base, was to create a standard A2 card an then trim it down to the size of a "Scrapling" which I have now learned is basically 4 1/4" and 1 1/2", as you'll see in this fabulous tutorial post, done by Jacqueline who is Virginia's Guest Designer for this challenge.   Not only does she make the most amaze collage cards, but she rocked it with the Scrapings and her tags....they are all gorgeous!!  I also happen to know Jacqueline from the Hero Art's Flickr Group and have had the pleasure of receiving one of her amazing cards in the the "Card Chain" swap.

    This is my "tag" attempt and I used some recycled cardstock that I had used to stamp "off" on and to check out from green colors I had used on another card.  I took that piece and cut it into my own tag shape and then added some new "flowers/leaves" from this awesome new Hero Arts CL778 "Flower Garden" Stamp Set -- Love it, but I did NOT do it any justice on this tag, which will now be headed back into my recycle bin.  I am sharing it her, but it WILL not be submitted to the challenge!   YUK!!!


And here is another photo that shows the cardstock I cut my tag from  I also recycled an old brad, along with some twine like ribbon that came on a package.


  Next, I moved on and decided tags were out for me and that I would try a "Scrapling" and I started that by cutting my little yellow Scrapling from some of Hero's Layer Cardstock.  I then found another old "Texture/Resist" background sheet that I had done in a Technique class and I decided to cut that down and use it as my card front.  I also had a stash of old "dictionary" pages and I used a variety of sprays to color it for die cuts at one time.  I took the left over pieces and punched out my butterflies -- put it all together and had my first ever "Scrapling" and although it may not be my best work ever...I am going to enter it into the challenge.


And this photo show the elements I created from recycled goodies!


  And after that, I was happy to move on to a card challenge and one that I LOVE and try to play in every week. It's called "Cas(E) This Sketch", and I am also sharing a copy of this week's sketch to help inspire YOU to join me.
CTS #79

   For some reason, the moment I saw this my very first though was to use strips of Washi tape to create my card and I started off by pulling out a nice selection of "Red" tapes and slowly began the process of layering them onto some cardstock.  I had a few "oops" moment in lining up my tape and by the end, it was all looking very crooked.  That's when I decided to cut out the section I had done and adhere it on top of another card and did have better results with that.  In keeping with the Sketch, I hunted through my stash to find some Vellum to use for my sentiment and then quickly pulled out my new Winnie and Walter stamps and chose the word LOVE, to go with my red themed card.   IN the end, I kind of smeared the ink and then had trouble getting it to stick and just was not loving the result, but again, will share it with you now.

CAS(E) this Sketch


My first Card

  While I do like this card, it just did not come out the way I had hoped, so I figured, what the heck, I may as well try one more.   Things can't really get any worse?   Or hopefully they won't?    And as it turned out, I did like this final card and it's the card I have decided to submit to the Challenge!  I love how the shades of teal and green worked out and this time I used "Patterned Paper" from Stampin' UP and then also stamped my Sentiment (also a Winner & Walter -- Yes I LOVE them)...onto white cardstock and then trimmed it down to fit my card.  I also decided to add some bling and chose to go with sequins.  Hope you like it, because I am not wiped out and done for today!!   

    Out of curiosity, I'd love to know which one you prefer and which you would submit?   Please leave me a comment with your answer!!

My second Card!!

  I sure hope that if I find time to create tomorrow that things go a lot more smoothly.  I think by the end of the day, I was back on track, but being creative on this "lousy" day, sure what a challenge today!   

16 comments:

Virginia L. said...

LOVE your scraplings, Lisa! You may be too harsh on yourself for the tag as I think it is FABULOUS! The scrapling is really awesome! The emboss resist is perfect and your added butterflies are lovely! I am glad that the challenge prompted you to try something different than your norm. I foresee that you make more scraplings in the future...Yes? Thanks so much for playing Virginia's View Challenge! I sure hope that you are feeling better by the time you read this comment. Hope that you feel more creative as there is still lots of time to make more scraplings!

Cindy C. said...

Why what do you mean Lisa!!? I think you had a good and productive day, the scraplings and cards turned beautifully!!

Leigh Penner said...

Great tags & cards! I love your takes on the sketch! I think I prefer the second card, but that might just be because I love aqua so much...

Arlene said...

I'm a "red" person, so my choices go "red", but I do like the greens too.

Chrissy said...

Oh! Lisa...doesn't it stink when the weather is perfect for crafting and Mr Mojo walks off in a huff..I hate that and was just there..for a long time.I think your tag is lovely and I think your two cards are stunning...love the red..gorgeous.

luv CHRISSYxx

Darnell said...

Oh, Lisa, you DO karack me up with your dialogue!! We feel every twist and turn that you went through to make your creations! I also think you are always WAY too hard on yourself and your work and too much of a perfectionist. OTOH, I love that you go ahead and share with us those things which you aren't loving, which is really charming. It gives us the chance to say you are too hard on yourself! lol! Of the two sketch makes, I choose the second one, but only because I just love those colors! Have a great weekend full of mojo! Hugs, Darnell

Barb Ghig said...

Love your scraplings, Lisa! I think your tags are so pretty, and I love how you used your recycled goodies! Love, Love both cards you created for CTS...those W & W sentiments are perfect with the sketch and I love your choice of patterned papers!

ThePurplePlace said...

Now, you have me smiling from ear to ear and I JUST love what you wrote! I guess in some ways we are always our own worst critics, but you know when you just have one of those days when Nothing seem to go right, that was yesterday for me! Today, is a whole new day and all the projects today have been much more fun! Too bad, I can't share them yet, as they are all Design Team Projects for upcoming events...but stay tuned as they will all be shared soon! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet and encouraging comment! :)

ThePurplePlace said...

Thanks Barb --- today my mojo is back and it's so nice to be feeling good again! :)

ThePurplePlace said...

Thank you very much Virginia, coming from YOU that is very high praise and I guess it's just one of the days. I really did have fun trying and ultimately that's why I love crafting...you really never know how things will come out and it's always fun and it's own little challenge to try!! I do hope to make some more "Scraplings" and maybe I will find time to submit another one to your fun challenge!! :)

ThePurplePlace said...

Thanks so much Cindy --- It was a FUN day....just lousy in the weather and mojo area...but today was MUCH better and I'll have some new cards to share soon! Plus, I'm not giving up on those Scraplings...the size is very fun!!!

ThePurplePlace said...

It's growing on me more now and today, I like it better --- Go Figure!!

ThePurplePlace said...

Happy to hear that I am NOT the only one who has these "bad" times in the creative world. I can say that it was really such a nasty day and having Fibro and bad weather is NEVER a good day for me...but crafting is typically my "therapy"....thankfully this too shall pass and there will be better days! I loved your sketch and think it has so many possibilities! Thanks for your sweet words!!

ThePurplePlace said...

Thank you Leigh --- although PURPLE is my absolute Fave, I am growing to love teals and aqua more and more every day...such a pretty color for Summer too!! :)

Lucille K said...

Oh Lisa, your tags are so nice, I enjoyed seeing them. Glad your Mojo is back :)

Chrissy Larson said...

I hate when I feel like I'm lacking mojo. I love everything you created. I can't make a tag to save my life but I love yours and the cards using the sketch are GREAT!

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".