Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Playing with Perfect Pearls...

....and kicking myself for not thinking of using Perfect Pearls even more in my cards.  This is yet another reason that I am also so inspired the by the Online Card Classes and seeing Jennifer use them on one of her cards yesterday, was all I needed to remind much how rich they look on dark cardstocks.

    Not to mention that I own the sets, the Perfect Medium and a wonderful arrays of add-on colors including the always popular "Pearl" white.  I learned how to first use these in a technique class I took at my LSS, ages ago.  I bought the beginner set, kept adding fun colors and after a while they ended up in a drawer and haven't been out in probably at least a year.  But, they are out today and I'm having a blast remembering how much I love the effect.

      I also am loving all the fabulous ideas and inspiration that each of the designers continue to share in class and have already peaked at today's class to see what's next!   Stay tuned for tomorrow's post to see what type of Stamps, Ill be stretching then.


      For today's card, I am still working with Background Stamps and the vast majority of mine come from Hero Arts.  Today, I chose this amazing stamp which is one of the new stamps and one that I have not used nearly enough.  Its' called "Spice Market Large Petal Background" and it's can use used in so many ways!   I love that I did not have to go out any buy any special stamps for this class and still was easily able to use totally different stamps, dies and colors and make my very own cards, based on on the inspiration!

       If you are not familiar with Perfect Pearls and how they work and what you can do with them, I will first start by sharing this video, which is a great little tutorial by Ranger, who designed them!  It's a great two part video that is perfect for anyone who has never tried them.


     I chose to with a black card background and I love using Hero's Layer papers to create mine.  Especially since only there outside is black leaving the inside of the card white, perfect for sentiments or to write nice long note.   I inked up my stamp with the "Perfect Medium" and then started adding on my colors.  I chose to use "Gold" and "Berry Twist" which is actually "pink" in the pot, but once it goes on it, takes on a pretty blue shade, even more so after you "pounce" it.   I then used a bit of fine mist to set my pearls, as that was how I learned to use them at my LSS!   You can also use them with Versarmark and heat set them, but they were truly designed to work with the Perfect Medium, which you do NOT need to heat emboss.  It's also very thick and wet, so it gives you plenty of time to add your colors.  

    Next, I chose to create a cut-out on my card and chose this die set Apothecary Labels, one of the exclusives from Simon Say Stamps.  I did my best at centering it on my card and then ran it through my Vagabond.  I kept the cut out piece to use for my second card  -- another way of "Stretching" your stash!   I then decided that I did not a full window, so I added a piece of black textured cardstock (Bazzil) behind my cut out and added my sentiment, which is a fun "thanks" die cut, also from Simon Says Stamp and one of my favorites, because it was created by Kristina Werner and is her own handwriting, which I LOVE! I die cut the sentiment from gold foil paper to have it pull in the gold from the background!   I used my "Stub" Corner Chomper to cut each corner of the card to match the cut out and then added a few enamel dots to finish it off!    Hope you like it!!


Here is a close up version that shows the detail even more clearly!!


  I am submitting this card to the brand new "Make It Sparkle" challenge currently being hosted over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!!

Simon Wednesday Challenge Blog

  Now it was time to work on my second card using the die cut that was left over from this card.  I decide this time I wanted to try and bring out more of the "blue" from the background and started by picking out some deep turquoise paper which I adhered onto a second black card base.  I then adhered by die cut, to another piece and hand cut the design from the die to give it it's own mat.   I added a black banner down the front of the card and using foam tape, added the die cut to that banner.   I then die cut 4 blue "Thanks" sentiments and adhered them together to make it nice and strong.  To make them even strong and add some shine I heat embossed the cut with clear embossing powder.  I also often will do this with "3D Cystal Lacquer" but on this intricate shape it's really not easy to get the lacquer evenly on the die and learned this idea from one of the many videos that Jennifer shares on her You Tube Channel.  You'll find a great card where she shares how she does this in THIS video starting at about 6:15 -- Happy Viewing!!   


And again I have a close up to show the detail a bit more clearly!


  And that's it for today!   Stop by tomorrow for me idea and also have fun, if you are also a member of the class!   If you are feeling left out, you still have plenty of time to sign up and catch up!  Just go to the "Online Card Classroom" and look for Stretch Your Stamps II!    I would LOVE to see you in class and shouting out a "Happy Hello" to all the students already enrolled and sharing their awesome cards in the class Gallery!!  

7 comments:

Virginia L. said...

Gorgeous class results, Lisa! Love the shine from the PP! You just earned an A Pus in this class! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

Chark said...

seriously perfect choices, Lisa!

jenn shurkus said...

such a pretty card!! thank you for playing along with simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

Carol Perry said...

Such a pretty card Lisa. I've always love this background stamp. It's so intricate and look great with the perfect pearls.

Andrea D. La Vigne said...

Wow--what elegant cards, Lisa! I saw your first one over at the Stretch Your Stamps 2 gallery, and had to have a closer look. Great job! Love the colors and how you used that background stamp. And that apothecary label die looks like it was made just for that stamp image--it fits so well! Tfs!

LibLady said...

I got my Perfect Pearls out again after Jennifer used them in class and I'm so glad I did! In the past, I mostly used them for making mists, but love the results on background stamps. Next up is using them to watercolor.

chera said...

You are making me sad I don't have any perfect pearls! Beautiful cards!

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".