Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rain, Rain -- Please go Away....!!

   Yuk!!  I've never been a fan of rain or windy nights, but after seeing our bedroom walls this morning, I really like it even less.   And, it's not bad enough that we have some type of roof leak, but it's also not going to clear up for most of the week, if at all!!  
 
    Just when things seem to be going well, and we are starting to get our house all re-organized and such...we now have a water damage issue that needs fast attention, and of all places it's leaking in our master bedroom, which is actually in the newest (addition) part of our home.  Granted, we had the addition built just about 15 years ago, but we still never expected our roof to give us any issue at this point.  We do think and hope that maybe the wind forced the rain up under the shingles and that's what cuased this nice mess on our bedroom wall.

   The water actually leaked in in two separate areas, one right behind my dresser and the other behind hubby's which is where I first noticed it this morning.   Then after checking further we noticed the same thing was behind my dresser, but somewhat hidden by my mirror.   We will be calling our insurance company first thing tomorrow and will go from there to see what may be covered and what we can expect from them.

     The only good thing, if there is one, is that I wanted to repaint this room in the Fall, and we've been wanting to remove the awful popcorn ceiling, pretty much since the day it was done.  We have already removed it in the family room downstairs, but our room has tall cathedral ceilings, and it is a messy job, but I guess it will have to be done now, as I do NOT want more popcorn....ever again!  It's the most awful stuff they ever came up with and so hard to try and keep clean!


  Once we found this, we put on a fan and DH removed a big bubble of water that was sitting behind the paint.  I'm sure we'll also have to replace at least part of the wall and hope it did not damage the insulation or even more that we can't see yet.  I'll also need to start calling some contractors to see who can come quickly and do a good job.  The contractor that built our addition, was awful and I would NEVER hire him again.  He went way over the time line and at the end, he rushed and only showed up, about once a week.  I know had we not held the final payment, he probably never would have finished...!   

   Once hubby had that somewhat under control, I headed to my craft room to work on a project I started yesterday.  It's for my friend Jini's daughter and it's going to be a 12X12 Collage type layout of her favorite band "One Direction", which until Friday night I had never even hear of.   LOL!!   A few years back, I had made Jini a collage of the Twilight Series, for her Birthday and she just loved it.  


   Demi, her daughter, had asked her if she would ask me to make her something like it, but using the band photos and her colors, which are red and white.   This is a sneak peak of what I have done so far, and I hope to have it finished some time tomorrow!!  I sure hope she likes it!   When I make Jini's it was pretty much a surprise, and I made it all up as I went along.  Demi, was kind enough to email the photos she wanted to include and also told me she wanted a red background with white lettering.  The design is a basic collage and it was fun making a second one.  I'll frame it in a frame, just like Jini's and send it off in a couple of days!


   After I pute that aside to dry for a while, I started on some new cards for challenges and the first is this week's CAS Challenge at The Outlawz, which is all about things that make me happy.  I was a bit stumped at first, and was browsing for some inspiraition and that's when I found a wonderful card over at the Hero Arts group, that I decide to pretty much CASE for my card.   The card I love was created by TRace44, and was her take on the newest HeroArts Sketch, which you can find HERE on the HeroArts Blog and also below.

  And this is the fabulous card by TRace44 --  that inspired me  --  Isn't is awesome!!   I also happen to LOVE this Sentiment and knew it was exactly what I wanted to use for my CAS Card!!

Washi tape take2
Created by TRace44

And this is the sketch that inspired us both!!

   So far, I have made two cards for this challenge and this first one is my card for today's CAS Challenge, where Joyful or Happy inspired card are this weeks' theme.  I also chose one of my all time favorite color combos which is Red, White and Black!!    Additionally, I will plan to submit my card to the HeroArts Challenge and have shared it in the Flickr Gallery with thanks to TRace44, for her wonderful inspiration!!  


  I then continued on to make a second card all based on the same sketch and idea and this one is all about LOVE and would be perfect for a Valentine, Wedding or even an Anniversary card.  It too will be submitted to the HeroArts June Sketch Challenge and also this the Wedding Challenge being hosted at Crafting By Designs.  All of the patterned papers from both cards are from Echo Park - Yours Truly and both cards were from a HeroArts Set.  The sentiments are both from the same Hero Arts Set - Made with Love, which has always been one of my favorites.


  My last card today was created using the same Hero Arts Sentiment Set and was created for the new Sketch Challenge over at OWH's Stars and Stamps Blog.   Below is a copy of the sketch that I used for my card, which is # 124!

  And this is my card, which I am very happy to be sharing, as I had missed out on the past two week's of sketch challenges, which are typically challenges, I never miss.   I am also working on my next package of cards to send to Operation Write Home and hope to inspire you to share some of your card creations with this awesome group.   If you would like to help - please go HERE for all the details!    Every card is greatly appreciated and you'll love doing your part to support our Troops!   


  And now I'm off to clean off my desk and see what project I can work on next.   I think it's going to be another card for the newest Hero Arts Challenge, and this time I'm going to use the "Thinking of You" theme and then have another card to put in my OWH Envelope!

   Hoping that our weather forecast is totally wrong and that instead of more rain, we'll actually have some sunshine.  In the meantime, I am still hoping that the Rain will go AWAY, and NOT come back another day!

20 comments:

Tracey said...

So sorry to hear about your rain problems!!! oh dear, crossing my fingers for sunny skies! Thanks so much for mentioning me in your post...I am so honoured to have inspired you :) Your cards rock Lisa...You really have an awesome talent for mixing patterned papers!! hugs TRace

Jen M said...

Nice cards, Lisa! I'm sorry to hear of your water leak. :( We have sump pump issues! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about your very bad luck with the water damage. On a nicer note, your cards are all extremely nice. It's good to see them all from you this week.

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

yikes on the water damaage - good luck with that

love all your cards - I have made a couple of cards for the Hero Arts monthly challenge also.

I like that sentiment stamps in your top card.

Barb Housner

Sarah said...

Oh sorry to hear about your water damage :( Not fun! But the cards you made are fantastic!

Linda said...

I really like that first smile card...The dps are fantastic!!! TFS!

JoAnn Ross said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about your roof and the water damage. But, at least this way the insurance department will be getting rid of that popcorn! We lost two roofs living in TN to tornadoes. One the night after we'd sold our house, and boy, was it a challenge trying to get contractors when seemingly everyone in the South from Alabama to the Carolinas had storm damage over those couple days! Especially while driving our three dogs across the country to their new home. You might want to sign up for Angie's List. I've avoided bad contractors and found some good ones that way.

As for the cards, I love them all! I think the red, white, and black is my favorite, but I also really like the textures on this week's OWH sketch challenge card!

airbornewife said...

Lisa... so sorry to hear about the water damage. Hoping that the insurance folks will know what to do and fast. Your cards are awesome. I just bought the Hero Arts set last night with that sentiment in it.. can't wait to ink it up. Thanks for sharing ~ Pam

Kerry said...

so sorry to hear about the rain damage... I heard it's going to rain until Wednesday, boo! The collages are totally awesome!!! And you have been busy!! So so pretty!

Margaret said...

So sorry to hear about your rain damage. I hope it clears up soon so that you can get it repaired before the next rain. Your cards are fabulous. I love the red and black one and the one you did for today's OWH sketch. That is a cute sentiment.

Trina said...

I sure hope you get that leakage situation handled quickly and painlessly! I know that collage will be happily received!

Desert Rose Stamper said...

Oh so sorry about your leaks. Hopefully you'll have dryer weather soon. And through all of this you've managed to make some great cards too. Can't pick a favorite, although I love the sentiment you used on the OWH card. Hang in there!

Sharon

Payne Holler Cards said...

Oh nooooo, what a hassle, hopefully insurance will take care of it and you get a new ceiling, this may be a blessing in disguise
Love your cards, you were busy! Best of luck in that challenge (-:

??? said...

We just had a leak in our ceiling last week! Not a fun thing to deal with!!! All of your cards are awesome but I especially love the first one for its warm colors! :)

Scrapcollectr said...

Love that OWH card but I'm glad I came also to see your other projects... those collages are great! Hope you have success with the leak solution!
*smile*

Lee Mae said...

Oh Lisa! Sorry to hear about the water leaks! Yikes! Your cards are fabulous - I love that "You Make Me Smile" stamp too, I just ordered it from JoAnn's and I'm waiting for it to show up even more now after seeing your cards.

Julie said...

Great cards, Lisa! I love that sentiment, and your cards really show it off. Thanks so much for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

Donna Nuce said...

Fabulous job on all the cards. So sorry to hear about your water damage.

EmeralDQueen said...

All your cards are fabulous but the one for OWH is very nice :)

Paula S. said...

HI Lisa! I know exactly what you mean when you say "enough with the rain". It feels like it isn't ever going to end here in Conn. too!

Your cards with the banner strips are phenomenal!! Thank you so much for sharing the sketches I have snagged them and cannot wait to try to create some of my own this weekend. You always have something to inspire me and I've been busy and missed being able to go blog hopping these past few weeks. I am so glad I came to visit!

Paula

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".