Monday, July 23, 2012

Inky Fingers = Creativity and FUN!!!

....I've always have a love for color and I've never been one who is ever very neat when it comes to art, but to me that shows a sign of loving color and the more vibrant the color, the more I seem to like it.   It was that exact thought that had me sign up to take two awesome workshops with Dyan Reaveley at my LSS this weekend.   Dyan is absolutely amazing and it was so much FUN being in her classes at Absolutely Everything, (my LSS), yesterday!   Not only did we learn a lot form her, but we also had a lot of laughs and totally enjoyed her wonderful sense of humor.  She's really a hoot and made this one of the most enjoyable classes, I've ever taken.  IF you ever have the chance to take a class with her....do NOT pass it up.  I guarantee you'll love it and you'll come home with inky fingers and a big happy smile!!

    I first found out about Dyan, after seeing some of her videos on You Tube, right about the time, that I had also learned that she would be coming to teach a weekend of classes her at AE.    It was also at that time, that I was trying to learn more about mixed media art and also wanted to start creating some art journals.  From the first day I say the colors in her line, I knew that it was perfect for me and exactly the colors I wanted to add to my stash.   The very first day they hit my store, I was on the phone to place for my order for the full-set and have been awaiting for the day for the class, to learn all kinds of fun new ways to use them, after my first trials "Creative Chemistry Class" a few months ago.


   Over the past few months, I have become more and more aware of all the amazing things you can do in journaling and with the wonderful variety of mixed media products now readily available to stampers and cardmakers.  I started buying some products, watched more videos and trying my hand at a bit off doodling, something I really would LOVE to continue to pursue.  

   Yesterday, I was thrilled to wake up feeling pretty well and be off on a gorgeous Summer morning to head to class.  Our morning class was a tag class and a great intro into the products.   Dyan, if you did not know, is the Senior International Educator for Ranger and has developed her own line of products.  On top of the gorgeous Dylusion Sprays, there are fabulous stencils, matching and coordinated stamps sets.  Her newest products are some really cool and super large tags, that come in Manila Kraft and Black, a brand new instructional book and a brand new journal coming out in August.  All of which we saw yesterday and worked with yesterday!   
    I was lucky in that my friend, Kerry was also taking two of the same workshops, so we ended up sitting together, which always makes it even more fun for me.  Kerry is as FUN and inspiring, as is Dyan, and between the two, it was a fun-filled day!    Here is a picture one of Kerry's "Minions", who attended class with us.    Kerry is a huge fun of the adorable characters and at least one of them is almost always with her.  I'm starting to think they are adorable and may even had to buy one for me and my craft room.  


  Our morning was a tag class, where we learned some really cool techniques using the fabulous Dylusion Sprays and also the stencil and stamp sets.  We also learned that you can take the sprays and add the ink to your Water Brushes and paint (color), with them!  I LOVED that and the colors being so bright are so fun to use.  You can bet that I'll soon have a pen filled with each color and will be using them more and more with stamps and digi images!   YIPPEE!!   By the end of the class were have created quite a few small tags and one SUPER Duper size tag, we created from manila cardstock.  (Yup, I missed up on cutting my edges, so mine looks like a funky shaped tag), but you get the idea !!   We decorated the front and back and then glued them together.  I finished mine at home today and then added a big grommet and some fibers, so that I can hang it up!!


   Note:  All of the images, stamps, colors and stencils you see on both the front and back are all Dylusion?Ranger Products.  These tags were made up by doing a wonderful variety of techniques and each step, was something new and fun.  I've quickly learned that this amazing Glue Stick - is by far the best you can use and the strength is amazing!  It holds wonderful and is super for journals too!  (Note to self -- stock up)!!

   Personally, I don't mind getting inky, but I did wear an apron and I know that having one of these awesome Scrubbies, makes it super easy to removed all the ink/paint form my hands.  But, we did notice a few gals who must not own these, as they were wearing gloves...not us -- we LOVE inky fingers !  But, if you are working at home, be sure to use your kraft mat and protect any furniture clothing that you don't want coated in this fabulous colors.

   
  After a break for lunch and some shopping...our afternoon class introduced us to creating art journals from old books and we were all given a book to start on.    Dyan also had several of hers to share with us in class and they are ALL amazing.  I wish I had remembered my camera, because you would be blown away and just how creative she is.   We also learned several new techniques for fun ways to colors pages, created hidden pockets, add tags, and so much more.   In the end we have have quite a nice start done to our books.   I worked on mine a bit more today and have a few pictures to share.   


I used the Aqua Brushes filled with Dylusions Inks to color these leaves!!
The pages were painted with Dabber Inks and Baby Wipes....yup!  Baby Wipes!!


 

My Book with Dyan signed!   She's a Gem!!
(I love the technique we used on these pages)...
  

Black Sprayed Book Pages
Stenciled with Perfect Pearls....so pretty!!

Fun and colorful tags!!  
Created with the Dylusions Sprays (Pink, Blue and Black)
Stamped with two different Leaf Stamps 
Colored in with the Ink in Water Pens.......!!
  

    As you can tell, I used a lot of my favorite colors, lots of purples, pinks, blues and aqua.  I just LOVE how vibrant each of Dyan's colors are and how fun they are to work with.  I still have some pink and blue on one foot today and a little ink under my nails...but it's kind of pretty and not bothering me, at all!   I love "Inky Fingers" and like Dyan said -- it's shows that you've been creative and had fun and that's exactly what we did in both her classes yesterday!!   I hope she comes back to AE again, and if she does, I'll be there to take another class and enjoy her wonderful sense of style and creativity.   I had a fabulous day!!


Thanks to Kerry for sharing her pictures too! 
 It was great to see you, you are a JOY to be with!!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Heheh, I see, I see my adorable minion!!! Got to love them, they make me smile. :D Sunday was so so much fun and so happy that you were there with me. We so have to do it again soon. Hugs!!!

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".