Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sparkle, Shimmer and Shine....

....and that's pretty much the whole theme I had in mind when I decided to create some new backgrounds yesterday.   I had been wanting to try out combining a variety of mediums, along with water and shimmer products to make some papers that would really sparkle and shine. 

     I ended up coloring up 8 different sheets of new watercolor papers and each one is a bit different.  It was really cool mixing the colors and fun to see how different they changed depending on what layer you added. Now that I know how easy it is, I'm sure it's something I'll do more often and will continue to experiment with different colors.   I was inspired to try a new technique for a challenge over at Crafting by Designs and this is the card that I ended up making that features some of my new background/accent papers. 

    The top and bottom sections were were both from the very first sheet I created and I love how much shimmer this one has.   I used a combination of Twinkling H20's, Shimmerz, Blingz and a bit of Perfect Pearls Mist.  It was really fun and also a great use to use products I bought ages ago, they were sitting around untouched!!    


    My next card was one that I also created using some of my new backgrounds and this card was inspired by today's new Sketch over at the Stars and Stamps Blog (OWH).   Here is a copy of this week's sketch, in case you want to play along.




   And this is a close up photo of the same card where you can see the colors a bit more.  These both were created with Twinkling H2O's, Distress Stains and a variety of Shimmer Mists.   I then cut them down to the size I needed for my card and ran them through my Cuttlebug for more texture and dimension. 


   It's amazing to see how the papers look wet and the difference you see when they are dry.  I could has used a heat gun, but since I had plenty of time, I simply let them all dry overnight.   Even the little heart on this card was punched from one of the new papers and it's full of shimmer.  I only wish it showed up better in the pictures!

   And my final card today was made for a new challenge today at The Outlawz group.  It's a very very simple card that was created for their new CAS Challenge.  The challenge is called Bling it Up (but keep it Clean and Simply).   I started by Punching out the little hearts from more of my newly created background paper and then added 3 tiny lavender gems.  I then picked out a Hero Hues Pink card base and cut it down to notecard size (4" x 4") and stamped on the Sentiment,  (from Technique Tuesday), which I then heat Embossed in White.   I used foam tape to pop up the little hearts and then tied on a simple sheer pink ribbon to finish my card!  


  It's been really fun working with these new color mediums and I'm really looking forward to my long awaiting Memory Box class which is now only a week away.   I've been following Dave's blog as he traveled across the country teaching this workshop all along the way.  You can see some pics of the classes on the blog HERE and I'm sure many more will follow!  I have always loved Memory Box stamps and papers and now especially LOVE the wonderful new dies, which I am slowly collecting.  I still have two on my WISH List for the Holidays and hope to buy them while at the store next week.    I know he also works with Watercolor Pencils to create gorgeous backgrounds for his cards.   One week from today and I'll be in class!   YIPPEE!    

13 comments:

Kristie W. said...

Pretty cards!

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I just love your cards. What a fabulous job you did making your background papers. Don't let those items go back on your shelves without making a ton more papers. That would be a crime. Your OWH card looked exceptional after embossing your beautiful paper. Have a great night.

Julie said...

Great cards, Lisa! I love the color variations you were able to get in your experimenting. Thanks for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

Carol L said...

Beautiful cards Lisa, and those backgrounds look amazing! I love the flower on your OWH card, and those flowers on the 1st are colored perfectly! NJ on all of these!

Sue said...

Great card! Love the background papers you made yourself.

Jen M said...

These cards are beautiful! What a fun experiment! :)

Ann said...

Hi Lis ~ Beautiful background papers; love the colors you chose!!!

Unknown said...

These are all so beautiful, lovely colors and so elegant xxx

Unknown said...

What neat techniques. Your sketch challenge card is beautiful.

Myrna Marcano said...

Great ! Lovely colors !

StampTramps said...

Love all the purples!

coldwaters2 said...

These are three gorgeous card Lisa the designs and colours are lovely that first one is super.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Sherry Hickey said...

Hi Lisa, beautiful cards as always; my favorite is the 2nd card with the gorgeous flower and ribbon. Set against your handpainted background they are beautiful.

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".