Saturday, August 27, 2011

A feeling of Fall.....

    Today is the day that we have to make all the decisions about what preparations we need to do for the Storm?  As of early this morning, Hurricane is still expected to continue to weaken and thankfully when it huts our area, it will now be a tropical storm with 1-3" of rain and heavy winds here on the Coast.  We are a little less that a mile to the ocean, but up higher than sea level which keeps us pretty safe for any type of coastal surge.   Hubby wants to take out our AC units (we have the window units), but I don't want that, nor do I think we need too.  First I'll melt without them and secondly, he'll be off to work Monday and that will mean there is not chance of them getting back in until at least Monday night, if not even next weekend.  Not a good plan!! 

  As I start this post, (almost 3PM) the storm continues to weaken, so I think he's now planning on leaving them in!  Phew!  Of course, I would always rather be safe, but I really think we'll be just fine.  I'm the positive person in our home and hubby is also always the pessimistic one!   He did put away all our of deck furniture and I took in my potted plants and hanging plants, but otherwise, they is really not much else we need to do.  It's not a strong enough storm for us to have to board up windows and I think we've had far worse in the Winter.   I also noticed that all of our neighbors still have their AC units in, and some have not even taken in much of their yard stuff.  Mostly we all have our grills tied down and most have their yard furniture stacked or put in a more sheltered part of the yard.

    Taking in the plants and having the deck bare already, makes me thing that Summer has quickly ended and that Fall is now here, even though the temps are still very warm.  I'm so not ready for Fall in some ways, but as far as crafting goes, I'm ready for a change of season and actually have already started creating more in a fall theme or worked with Fall colors.  All of the projects I worked on today very much have that feeling of Fall and I had fun with them all!  

    My first card was created for the new 'Catch the Bug Challenge, and our challenge this week is to use 'Warm Colors' and also include some paper piecing on your project -- one of my favorite techniques.   Of course, I love Purple as your know and my next favorites are bright pink, aqua, so I guess deep down I'm a cool color gal, and those are definitely the colors I use most.  Until I looked at this cute little color chart (copied over from Bugaboo), I never realized now much of a cool color lover I am.   If you are NOT sure what you prefer, I'm sure this little chart will help you too!


     I also took the same image and made a second card, in a very clean and simple style.  For this card, I colored the image with Copics and added a hint of 3D Crystal Lacquer to the little Heart   Both my card bases are from new Hero Arts Sets that I've been buying lately.  I really like them, because the colors are nice and all the insides are white, making them perfect for OWH.   I also found a great deal on each of the sets from a seller on eBay.    I used Distress inks to add a pop of color to my embossed die cut and then tied on a matching ribbon.   Very easy and very fun!!    When I started on this I really thought I'd find quite a few Fall-Themed challenges, but was surprised that I really did not find ANY?  

  I was however, very happy to find these fun challenges, where I am submitting my cute little Pumpkin card:
  And next I have a very different (for me) card that I created for today's new Paper a La Mode Challenge at The Outlawz.  The DT girlz have put together an fun challenge, where we had this image (see below) as our inspiration for any type of Paper Crafting project --

  And this is the card that I created based on the image.  I loved the color combination and also really thought the design concept was very cool.   So...I combined both along with a favorite digi from Wax Fruit Company, that I colored to match.   In the end this is my card - which I think is very Fall-like.


   And lastly, before I sign off, it's now about 4 pm and so far all the AC units are still in and it looks like hubby has hit the couch for the day!   Yippee!   I'm a happy girl and feel confident, that we'll be fine!  If the forecast for some reason, changes dramatically, we can always take them out tomorrow morning -- the storm is due to be here later in the afternoon.   But, as is often the case - I think we lucked out again and will not have much more than a rainy and windy afternoon.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Your cards today all seem to be out of the ordinary for you, but you still did a wonderful job with each one of them. I especially like the cone flowers. I knew if we prepared for this storm it would back down and it looks like it has. YEAH! I now have palm plants in my Jacuzzi tub. Actually they look nice in there. LOL It looks like tomorrow will be a full day of crafting. Even if we lose power, I have enough battery lights to make some cards. Maybe even get some coloring done for my MCM class. Stay Safe, we'll talk soon.
Hugs,
Donna

Kerry said...

Hello my friend, stay safe during the bad weather this weekend. As usual, beautiful cards. Hugs!

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Lisa....these cards are all awesome. I'm not good at paper piercing so I guess I had better practice after seeing so many pretty, unique cards especially like yours. Being in SC, we were able to be spared the hurricane THIS TIME around. Thank goodness you were "somewhat" spared too.

Hazel (Didos) said...

Lovely cards, thinking of everyone on the East Coast of the U.S, hope all is ok with you, thanks for playing on MAWTT this week Hazelxoxo

Unknown said...

Hey Lisa! Your cards are adorable and love the paper piecing you did! Stay safe my friend...we had lots of trees down and our yard is full of limbs and leaves. The main thin is we are all safe and still have roofs over our heads and that's all I really wanted! Amy, is two hours below me and has had no electric since last night. It's 91 there and sweltering. The grandkids are coming to stay the night!

Lisa Jane said...

oh lol what a cute little birdy - fab colours
Thanks for joining us this week at MAWTT
Lisa x

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful card! Thanks so much for sharing it with us! We hope you will be back again soon to join us at Catch the Bug with Bugaboo Stamps!

Scrappy (Bugaboo Stamps DT)

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".