Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another Creative Day at Summer Card Camp!!

   I am back this afternoon and happy to have two new cards to share.  Both of these cards were created today and inspired by the wonderful new color combo were are working with this week at Summer Card Camp.   I think these colors are so pretty and with so many of us in a Heat Wave - these serene colors of the sky and ocean just make you feel a bit cooler.

     I have to say that I was very scared when I first turned on my computer this morning, only to see a black screen and an alarming message about the computer not being able to start itself?  Yikes!!  I read the message, where it asked I wanted to allow Windows to search for a solution....of course I do, what else can I do?  Then after a while, it popped up a second message asking if I would allow a System Restore, which again I did.   I then left it alone, as it said, it would take a while and was very happy to return and find it at the log on screen!   PHEW!!   I have NO clue what went wrong, and it has been fine all day yesterday?  It has been slow lately and freezing  bit at times, but never anything like this?   I sure hope it's not a bad sign, but I have a feeling it is?   This computer is older now and still runs VISTA (yuk), but otherwise has been good and we've always bought Dell with great experiences.   A former computer died under warranty and they replaced it 100% free with lots of upgrades and even allowed us to remove the old hard-drive, before they picked up the dead computer.  Another reason, I would definitely look for a new Dell PC.   I would also upgrade my monitor to a larger size, but otherwise, I'm all set.  I love my little net book, but it's not practical as a main computer, but sure is a great plus, and I love keeping it on my craft desk for easy access to videos etc., while I'm creating.

   And speaking of videos, my cards today were also inspired by some new techniques from our Weekly Video that Jennifer created for us today at Camp.   One technique is using inks with your Embossing folders to create a look that looks like Letterpress.  That's somethign I've done before and also learned at my LSS.  It's very easy and you can also use acrylic paints for the same look.   Another new technique is stamping on Acetate with Staz-on and then creating a window card with the Stamped section.   My first card shows both the new techniques and it was really fun to make.

 
   The bottom blue/white section of the this card is where I did the 'faux' Letterpress technique and it's one I really like.    I actually embossed a full A2 size page, but then trimmed it down to the size I wanted for this card.  The middle section is the Acetate layer/window and I also use a Pearl Pen to add some white pearls for extra dimension and sparkle.  My next image is a close up the the same card that shows more detail of the acetate window, which was created by Stamping with Blue Staz-on Ink directly to the Acetate.



 The top section of the card was created using a combination of Color Wash Spays and Ranger Distress Inks, that I applied directly to my background stamp.  Once I had it good and wet, I stamped it directly onto Watercolor paper and let it set overnight to dry.  I created several of these in a variety of designs and colors last night and left them all out to dry.   Now when I want a piece to use on a card I have several all set to go.

   And last is this very fun and easy card, which is simply one of those watercolor stamped pieces that was cut down for the card.  I used a Scallop Border Punch and picked out some matching cardstock to make a matching card base.  I then simply created a sentiment for the middle and adhered it onto two layers of flowers...very easy, but fun!
   I'm off now to water my gardens, much needed with all this heat.   I will be back later and hope to work on some new cards or challenges.  My next stop today is over to The Outlawz group to see what the new color combo is for the weekly challenge!  If you love to take part in Challenges, then I invite you to come on over and play !

  Afternoon Update -  I received a nice award this afternoon from CDAC (Crafter's Digital Arts Center) for a card I had created a while back for one of their challenges.  I wanted to say THANK YOU to all the members of the team who chose my card and also to share the card and award here on my blog!!

 


 
    Thanks again the honor and a very nice surprise!   

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Hey hey, congrats on your lovely award! :) And as usual gorgeous card, I love them both, have to work on mine. :D

Unknown said...

O wow your cards are just fabulous, the embossing is beautiful, love it .. and congrats from me too. hugs xx

Carol L said...

Congrats on your award! These cards are just lovely!! Those gorgeous techniques really produced some beautiful cards, and I'm glad you're enjoying summer card camp! Those blue colors are fabulous!
On another note......I've only posted first a couple times for OWH, but I cheated with today's MWT cards - they were already done but never posted LOL I usually take hours to create a card because I tend to over-think the process, so trust me - being first is just a fluke :)

Marie said...

Love this card that you did for Card Camp. the pearl accens really add a lot of dimension. i love the water color effect on the second card.

A Little About Me

My photo
Northeastern, Massachusetts, United States
Purple is my favorite color and ironically - Purple is the Awareness Ribbon color for Fibromyalgia, a chronic illness I lived with for over 18 years. In, March of 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer which had spread to my brain. I am fighting hard to win this battle and determined to beat it. I have a amazing Oncology Team, along with the LOVE and SUPPORT of all my family and friends! I am a Mom to two grown sons, Alex is now 25 and married to Acacia, my wonderful new "Daughter" and the parents to my precious Grand-Daughter Harper, and Brian amazingly is 30 and now lives in San Diego. My boys are the greatest loves of my life. Hubby, me and our two "Pups", Skye and Zeva, two adorable Chiweenies we rescued in 2012, all live very happily in a tiny coastal town in Massachusetts. We lost our dear "Scoutie", a Purebred Dachshund, in April of 2015. I still miss him and will forever cherish his memory. I am an avid card-maker and totally love every minute I can spend in my craft room. It's become my passion, a wonderful way to relax and is my form or "therapy".